History of the American Legion
Augustus P Gardner Post 227
This photo was taken on May 30 1919. Named from left to right are WWI veterans, Otto Currier, Frank Johnson, Myron Wilkins, Lewis Rogers, E. Colton, Ellsworth Russell, Alfred Kitchen, W Young, Ed Leary, Raymond Godfrey, Ellsworth Barnaby, Morrell Young, T (Doc) Milken, Chet Rodgers, Elmer Cambell, H Jones, Earl Jones and Bill Young.
Augustus P. Gardner Post 227 was chartered on March 21, 1921. The charter members were: William Harrison Young, Mark D. Cronan, Elmer O. Campbell, Chester M. Rogers, Lewis E. Rogers, J. Ellsworth Barnaby, William M. Young, Myron O. Wilkins, Earl F. Jones, Henry A. Jones, Alfred H. Kitchen, Otto T. Currier, Roswell G. Wedgewood, and Ellsworth Russell. **
In the early Post records it seems that the Post was inactive for the two years 1926-1928. The minutes reflect that on March 2, 1928, a public installation of Legion Officers was held in Town Hall (now the Senior Center on Maple Street) with special invitations made to Civil War and Spanish-American War veterans. The May 15, 1928 minutes state Commander Young reported for the Boy Scouts that Reverand Chandler desired a place in which they could meet and it was voted to donate the use of the meeting room in Town Hall on Thursday evenings with the provision that they do not use the pool table.
On February 5th, 1929 the Legion had moved into new quarters and began fixing it up. On October 29th, 1929 a joint Legion/Auxiliary installation was held in Town Hall. On November 5, 1929 the Post voted to have the original charter framed. On April 26th, 1934 the Post voted to request the Trustees of the Flint Public Library to allow the town to erect the new Flag Pole at the rear of the WWI Memorial Boulder. On December 15th, 1934 the Legion put out a call that help be sent to finish the roof of the Boy Scout quarters. (Boy Scout Troop 1, which was sponsored by the Post since 1921, was using the house next to the Middleton Congregational Church which is no longer there and is now the parking lot.) In 1937-1938 the Post leased the old school building for $3 for 3 years as the American Legion meeting place. On April 30, 1946 induction services were held at Town Hall in which 72 members were inducted into the Post membership. By this time the Post had moved to Town Hall on Maple Street where the Legion met downstairs. During the years 1947-1948 the renovations were being done to Memorial Hall on South Main Street to accommodate the Legion on the second floor and a new Selectmen's Room. In 1950 the Legion Post moved from Town Hall to Memorial Hall (the current Town Hall and former Elementary School). The Post held dinners of baked beans and ham, spaghetti and meatballs, or roast beef, mashed potatoes and string beans. The Post held Christmas and Halloween parties for the children of Middleton and continued to sponsor the Boy Scout Troop too.
In 1969 the Post purchased its own quarters at 69 River Street from the South Middleton Improvement Association (SMIA) where the Post is today. In 1989 the Post built a new Function Hall which they rent out and also donate for the good of community service. This Post has always dedicated itself to the contributions and sponsorship of the programs of Children and Youth, Senior Citizens, Scholarships, Boy Scouts, Boys State and many community service projects. 202 Middleton men and women served their country in World War II. The following were killed in action: Robert W. Burke, Joseph A. Donovan, Alfred P. Phaneuf, Alvar H. Wennerberg, David H. Currier, Gardner Galeucia, Russel D. Roode, Charles A. Curtis,Jr., Donald Meagher, Lewis O. Ryer, Jr.. 76 Middleton men and women served their country in the Korean War. None were killed in action.
146 Middleton men and women served their country in the Vietnam War. Killed in action was John Cabral.
_____ Middleton men and women served their country in the Persian Gulf War.
_____ Middleton men and women have served their country since the Persian Gulf War.
**(In talking with some members who remember that time in our Town's history, Earl Jones was the Building Inspector, Elmer Campbell was the Town Accountant, J. Ellsworth Barnaby was one of the early settlers of Middleton and one of the Youngs was the Chief of Police.)
*(This information was researched by Adjutant Ted Butler in 2001 from old records and
minutes of the Post meetings in preparation for the 80th Anniversary of Post 227.)